Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 10, 2011

To Linked-In or Not to Linked In

By Rachael Licata
So I'm having some issues with connecting with my classmates on Linked-In. Well, let me rephrase that; I'm having trouble with the idea of sharing my personal brand and all the other work we are doing with the professionals connected on my Linked-In account.

Why you ask? Well, I'm just not so sure I like the idea that people within my industry and my current/old coworkers can see the work I'm doing. Let's be honest. This work is forced.

Not that I don't enjoy this class, because I do. I am just not keen on the idea of letting the world see it. If I choose to blog, It's my choice to do so. I can put my own personal statements on my Linked-In account. Not the personal brand developed in class.

The work I do here in class doesn't have a bit to do with the Clean Energy sector in which I was employed. That is the type of job I'm looking for. And those are types of things I should be sharing on Linked-In.

So my question is, do I need to start all over again and write something I might share on Linked-In?


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty, Rachael.

    So ... the clean energy industry, huh?

    And you do not believe that your love of the outdoors and rock climbing combined with your marketing experience offers you credibility within the industry you want to work?

    I am sad about that!

    So here's the scoop - let's make some changes to your brand proposition so that it aligns with the work you want to do in the clean energy industry.

    What kind of job are you looking for? What interests you in the alternative energy industry? What can you bring to the table.

    Let's edit your value statement!

    Call me if you want to talk.

    Perri

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I continue to stew over you... well, your entry (it has me thinking).

    My best friend, Robyn is a health educator. Her passion is yoga - she practices regularly, is a part time yoga instructor, and does kids yoga parties.

    When she was applying for jobs, this passion differentiated her because it was a personal proofpoint that she "lives what she preaches."

    I am glad that you are honest about the assignment feeling contrived ... let's figure out what we can do to "uncontrive" it so that we can get to the root of your differentiated value proposition.

    I will make a bet with you that you will be asked on interviews and even tip the hand to get hired if we find a way to blend the two (that's how strong I feel about this).

    You name the bet. I am going to forward this onto Robyn so that she can comment as well.

    Perri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. One more ... take a read on Tais' personal brand and her LinkedIn profile. Her personal brand is all about balancing being a student with a full time professional.

    She wants to motivate and inspire young professionals. I think she has done a dynamite job of translating this into her LinkedIn profile and fulfilling on her personal brand.

    If you like, do offer her encouragement.

    Thanks,
    Perri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the feedback. I love that you are trying to help, and I feel much better about doing these assignments now that I know you are willing to work with me on this. Again, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. I have been losing sleep about your feelings about the assignment. It bothers me that you feel that it is contrived.

    Sure, you are doing assignments - but the idea is that you get a real outcome.

    Let's work on it.

    Perri

    ReplyDelete