Total Pageviews

Friday, September 16, 2011

Bad Publicity Is Not Just Publicity ...




“old as hell and mean as hell!”

“This teacher was by far the worst teacher I ever had.”

“DO NOT TAKE HIM!!!!”

The atrocious comments you just had the pleasure of reading were in fact ratings for three randomly selected teachers on the (in)famous website, RateMyProfessor.com. The issue with these comments isn’t the comment itself, but the fact that I can almost guarantee that any self-respecting student would never – EVER – take any of these professors after reading the rest of the comments.

At least I sure wouldn’t.

Now it’s not to say that these sources are even remotely legitimate or credible; they’re just peers that may have failed the class and hold a bitter grudge against a human being just doing their job.

Let’s look at the scope of this: the more people that rely on these ratings, less people enroll in the class, less classes of the subject are needed, more funding gets cut for that department, and now this individual can be out of a job.

Perhaps that’s a bit much. Maybe it’s not that serious, maybe it is. But the saying “bad publicity is still publicity” isn’t all its perked up to be.

In the real world, this is just a small-scale version of what would happen if, say a popular gossip site, created a potentially viral report based entirely on speculation of an important CEO (cough, cough – Steve Job’s “death”). The story could be completely falsified, but once word gets out, you better believe the company’s investors are going to start calling.

So what exactly does this have to do with the Monday Night Media Mix? We’re creating our own publicity.

In marketing, it's not about us learning the technical terms, it's about bringing our ideas to life. So how better to learn about social media than to become part of it?

Aside from the obvious perks of being able to promote our own class through our awesome blogs to allow for healthy and open discussion, we’re also able to channel our creativity, and what’s marketing without creativity?

Without creativity, we wouldn’t have the breathtaking and powerful movement that is Postsecret, the blog I intend to follow throughout the course of this class. I have been a religious fan (since high school!) of Frank Warren’s project, in which anonymous people submit their dark, lighthearted, agonizing, and humorous secrets every week.

Like the mission of this blog is to allow for open communication, Postsecret not only allows the world to share what they cannot say out loud, but it also resonates with each reader as it often says what we may be too afraid to share. For me, it’s more than just a blog, it’s therapy.

http://keansocialmedia.blogspot.com

9 comments:

  1. I found this post to be really interesting! Rate my professor is a web site I use quiet often and to be honest I usually will refer to it before deciding on what professors I should take each semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm guilty of having used it myself in the past but I started to think that in the real world, you can't really pick your bosses or clients, so this is essentially cheating you of a challenging (and sometimes not so bad) experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I've used the website before as well, but I have never changed professors because of something I read. I definitely enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dia,
    I love your post.

    1. The visual / graphic makes this very readable.

    2. The headline is catchy - and caught my attention on the right hand navigation. I skipped to this posting because the headline grabbed me.

    3. Your writing is compelling. You get a little academic in your writing style - passive voice - when you start talking about blogging in our class. Go back in and simplify the language. Not sure what you are saying here.

    4. Shorten your paragraphs - at least the ones that look long - and use some sub-heads (bold headlines in the blog post itself) to split up your different ideas.

    5. I'd like to challenge you to do something for extra credit. Tailor / edit your blog entry about "Rate My Professor" to address the fact that you are a student taking social media class and what this site now means to you / how your perspectives have changed. I'd like for you to submit this revised version to "Social Media Examiner" for publishing.

    Nice job.

    Perri

    PS: I also like that you are facilitating dialogue and checking in on who is posting. You are a natural blogger. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perri, thanks so much for the feedback! I made the necessary corrections to my post. And I will definitely take you up on that challenge, I'll email you a draft by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having used the rate my professors site before I find it very useful in selecting the right teachers. Sometimes the difference between retaining information and forgetting everything you hear has alot to do with how it iis presented. Definitely a site worth checking out if you have not done so already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was great. I utilize ratemyprofessor all the time before selecting a class. Only if I have no choice because of my work schedule will I take a gamble on a professor. We spend a lot of money on college. We're no longer in middle school so we actually have the option on who we're going to be selecting. With ratemyprofessor were just getting an inside scoop from many of our peers. One of my classes that I took this semester didn't have a review and I was forced to take it because of my work schedule. You better believe that he will have a review after this semester and it wont be good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much!
    Jonathan, you prove an excellent point. We do pay a lot for our education!
    Do you feel that you're getting cheated of your money's worth though by choosing a professor that will give you an easy A than actually force you to learn the material to earn your grade?
    Don't you feel that using RateMyProfessor actually makes us lazier then?

    ReplyDelete