Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Self Motivated Climber

Josh Bower: A Verb

Josh Bower [josh – bow - er ]

Verb (used with name) Joshua Bower

  1. to take initiative in action or thought; determination.
  2. not afraid to lead a pack vs. being a follower.

What makes me distinctive? Look at 1 and 2 above.


In my life I've always strived to do things that people said were beyond my reach.

It all started when I was 10 years old…

trying out for a soccer team. My peers told me “you could only make if you knew someone”. Knowing it was all politics, I proved them otherwise and I proved to myself initiative.


Needless to say, two weeks later I was on the team starting every game. Being the leader of my own, I challenged myself to develop strong determination for achievement.

My mantra: determination will prevail.

With competitive nature, this mantra helped in countless life situations - ending with good results.

While at the same time deciding to pursue an automotive career, I spent two years at Brookdale Community College in addition to graduating from the Toyota T Ten program as a Certified Technician.

I began enjoying the benefits of my new career and full-time employment. But there was still something missing.

A feeling of change was resonating within me. My competitive spirit was not being satisfied.

I found myself missing what brought me ultimate satisfaction: soccer.

I left Toyota after two years and went back to Brook Dale to study business and to play soccer again. Yet being out of the game for nearly 3.5 years I knew this would be an arduous task to endure.

During training I found myself falling mid-pack to the others that were all 4+ years younger than me. They were in better shape and had better endurance.

Keeping my mantra at top of mind, I kept my head up. Training harder and dedicating the time into my passion, I obtained a regular starting position.
After two successful years playing, I would soon find myself facing one of the most challenging predicaments I’ve ever had.

During a game I endured a hard collision with another player. I was left with a broken tibia and fibia in my right leg.

The impact came with brutal force. The sky precipitated on top of me.

2 months later - with a titanium rod in my leg - I was again faced with the challenge of getting back into playing. Some said it would tough, others said impossible.
What future laid ahead for me? What would happen to my passion for soccer?

Being over a year now, I’m back to perfect health and training more and more to get myself back to the highest level I’m capable of playing at. When asked if I think I can play at the level I was I answer “of course!” Determination is everything in my life and I refuse to be held back by an injury.

 
The moral of my story: determination

No comments:

Post a Comment