Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Finding The Expert

Establishing my personal brand has been a great experience and now that I have a clearer idea of what I have to offer, it is critical that I make it easy to find me online.

My name is so common, so searching for Kelly is not going to be enough. 

Since I do have the social media tools of Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter I am more computer accessible.  Search words that you could combine with my full name would include:
  • Wakefern (the name of my employer)
  • Kean Student
  • Marketing (my area of study)
  • Retail Expert (how I have positioned myself on LinkedIn)
  • Produce (my area of expertise)
  • Produce Pundit (my personal blog)
  • kdavisproduce (again my personal blog)
  • Category Manager (my professional title)
My target audience of Retail and Marketing professionals would use the above search words to find me.  On the other hand, I can find my target audience in so many different online sites that I could use some of the following search words:
  • Retail
  • Food Industry
  • Retail Executives
  • Supermarket info
  • Women Executives
  • Marketers
  • Marketing news
Now if I try different combinations of my personal search words and those of my target audience I do not get the results that I want.  I would want the combinations to result in bringing up my personal blog or my LinkedIn profile. 

Unfortunately, because my name is so common it was hard to get the wanted results.  I did however get the wanted result when I keyed in '"kelly davis produce women executive wakefern".  Finally, my LinkedIn profile came up on Yahoo Search!  Whoohooo!

I am glad that I am learning to use more social media tools and am gaining more experience with these tools.

One day I will become so popular as an expert in my field that just typing my very common name will result in my personal sites popping up first on any search engine.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    I posted a comment but it doesn't seem to show up. Hmm. This is well done and it is clear that you tried out the searching. Sorry that it hasn't yet netted you with the results that you want ... but in the short-term, it has netted you with an A on the assignment! -Perri

    ReplyDelete