Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Where have all the business cards gone?




A few weeks ago I created a LinkedIn account.  I was really curious to see how this social media network would be able to help me in my professional life.

I created my account and immediately I was sent a list of possible contacts.  I was surprised at how many of my peers were already using LinkedIn and connecting with one another.  I felt a little put out that it had taken me so long to catch on to what so many others have already discovered.

Now I have to admit that initially I did not fully complete a profile on my account so this week I have taken the time to flesh out how I really want to be portrayed on this site as it is seen by so many of my colleagues. 

LinkedIn has so far provided me access to many vendors and retailers that I would never even known existed.  I have been contacted by many professionals who want to connect with me and I think that is such an incredible asset.

I do, however, have to be careful who I allow to "connect" with me.  I could end up having the wrong type of people connected to me and my list of professional contacts. 

Other than that, LinkedIn is a great tool to connect with your peers, make business contacts, and see possible job opportunities.  Yes, LinkedIn even sent me an email about job opportunities that were geared towards my current expertise and skills.

I am now using LinkedIn as an address book/Rolodex and its easier to keep up to date on my contacts if they have gotten promotions or changed jobs. 

Much easier than collecting those impersonal business cards!

2 comments:

  1. I just created a LinkedIn account this week also. Even though I'm still starting out and don't have anyone to connect with just yet, I really think it's a great way to get in touch with employers and potential opportunities. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome posting, Kelly!

    Linkin with me!

    Best,
    Perri

    ReplyDelete