Total Pageviews

Friday, October 14, 2011

Uno, Dos, Tres Action!

To be completely frank, I never really thought of a strategy at this point in my life – especially one pertaining to social media.

After a career in Marketing/Design, I knew it was my calling. So I guess you can say my first plan of action (although not a social media strategy) was to get my behind back in school to pursue a Marketing degree.

Sure I dabble with facebook a little, but not enough. I never got into Twitter, and only use it for work because it’s mandatory. I guess I was always turned off by the typical standard of ignorance marked "I have no interest in Lindsey Lohan’s next court hearing".

Still, the notion of networking has always been there, but looking at it as a neighborhood that I could both add value and pull value was something I didn’t really consider.


There wasn't a specific "What's my strategy?" plan of action. Although it’s something I definitely need to think hard about once I get near my graduation date: creating awareness about my image.

And maybe….juuuuuuust maybe, Twitter will be a newfound friend.

Now (I can’t promise that) what I am about to write below is something that will be put into fruition. But writing about it is certainly a beginning.

Step uno: Creating a long-term successful plan by putting my brand all across the web “globe”. That means having a unified username and using it everywhere. And I mean everywhere.

Regardless of whether or not I plan to use it, better to do that than kick myself later when it’s already been grabbed. A unified social media username will establish trust with other social media members who could very well belong to shared multiple communities.

A great way for potential career contacts to know that I'm the same person on multiple networks without confusion.

Step dos: Getting more involved in LinkedIn. With a plethora of networks stemming from friends, it is the crème de la crème of career networking. And with many close friends who either reside or work in the city, they are ties to important connections.

Step tres: Join or form platforms and continually engage myself in social communities to create buzz around “Jenn Olivencia”. Reaching out and participating in discussions that are related to marketing, tradeshows, brand awareness and graphic design.

If I don’t have a connection within these communities, how can I possibly expose what I am about and what I do?

This also goes with helping to lighten their load or make them smile. Responding with links to different resources that people will appreciate will also give me a chance to promote myself (without seeming intrusive).

The more I listen (and can possible guide others to solutions or at least a resource they can use) will cause others to notice.

And who knows, the more I participate, the more I can kick my strategic plan into high gear; leveraging a momentum to create an awareness of what I bring to the table. Then hopefully in return, having doors and opportunities open up for me.

…jenn olivencia

No comments:

Post a Comment