Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Don't Be Afraid to GAWK

Let's see....a normal week for me goes a little something like this:
  • Monday - Work and then school til 8:45Pm
  • Tuesday - Work and school until 10:00pm
  • Wednesday - Work and homework until the wee hours of the morning
  • Thursday - Work and school until 10:00 pm
  • Friday - Work and maybe hang out for a few hour after work but then more homework...Professors take note :)
  • Saturday - Yes, I have to work on the weekend too
  • Sunday - Guess what? Yup, work again
So you can see I have very little down time or time to catch up with my family or friends and even less time to catch up on all the crazy news items that don't warrant a 2 minute piece on Good Morning America. 

The social media blog Gawker is how I keep up on the things going on in the world around me.  Regular news, obscure news, celebrity new, and commentary on all these are what you can find on the site. 
Stories like this:
http://gawker.com/5850176/airlift-hand-sanitizer-to-occupy-wall-streeters-posthaste

And this:
http://gawker.com/5850121/sonic-youth-super+couple-splitting

and this: http://gawker.com/5849610/live-blogging-project-runway-week-12
are just a few examples of the blog stories you can find on Gawker.  Followers of this site are allowed to comment whatever they like and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of censorship. 

That would  be my first recommendation to the authors of these blogs - - create some sort of screening so that really distasteful comments can be hidden.

The second recommendation I would make is that all authors respond to their commenter.  I find that a few of the authors actually engage with the followers but most do not.  Those authors who do engage with their followers are more argumentative than they should be.  That should definitely change.

The last recommendation I would make is that it is hard to find old news postings.  You have to go page by page to see each dates postings.  If you missed a day and want to go to that particular day you should be able to select an archived date.

When i have some time, I'm going to suggest these recommendations to Gawker...um, yeah when I have some time.

2 comments: