Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Eccentric Marketing Apprentice

My personal brand is something that I've grown into, something that has defined where I've been and where I'm going.

I'm (hopefully) graduating in May with a degree in marketing. When I first began college, I was determined to become an English teacher.

This was mostly because, considering I was pegged as "the weird kid" in grammar school, I figured being a crazy English teacher that writes poems and dramatizes Shakespeare all day would be right up my alley. Besides, my parents weren't too fond of the idea of majoring in music, so I figured I could still use some of my "artistic talent".

Until one day, my dad, who works for an alcohol distributor, came home with all these glossy, glamorous press kits. He told the family that we're going on a cruise, courtesy of Bacardi.

I had no idea what he did, but I wanted to be just like him.

And so became my love affair with marketing. I never realized how perfect it fit into my desire to be creative while it actually made me feel ... well, normal.

The best part about it is how much industry and technological changes actually force you to keep learning.

A psychic once told me I was a "jack of all trades, master of none" - well, lady, you must not have included school into the mix. Like the total weirdo in me would say, academics have always kept me on my toes and made me actually proud of my work.

My love for learning also influences my love for sharing my knowledge. Everything from my blog to my demeanor is aimed to inspire young women, student leaders, and undergrads like myself, and to prove myself to my mentors.

I aim to do all of this in a unique way.

So of course, if I'm going to be branded by anything, it would be by my loves in life. My love for my ridiculous personality and the adventures that come with it, my love for my (future) career, and my love for absorbing everything around me.

The eccentric marketing apprentice.

It all comes together in what I do. I use the resources around me, like my blog and LinkedIn, to express myself in a professional, innovative and energetic manner.

At the end of the day, I want to look back on these tools and see how far I've come. My mission is to become the best at what I do, and even if I have to claw my way to the top, I'll do it with class and dignity.

keansocialmedia.blogspot.com
beerbatteredramen.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Dia,
    This entry is excellent, as usual. Where is your honed in value statement? Let's make sure that is incorporated in here.

    And do make sure that you are writing about how you are delivering your personal brand through LinkedIn and through another channel.

    I will hold off giving you a grade on this assignment until you have done that. Please drop me an email and let me know when it's complete.

    Thanks,
    Perri

    ReplyDelete