Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

Turning My Passion Into My Career

by:

In the year 2001, I was just about to graduate from Middlesex County College (MCC) with a liberal arts degree and with no idea what I wanted to do with it.+
During my time at MCC, I was President of the College Center Programming Board, President of the Social Committee, President of the Forum Committee, as well as, Chairperson for Scholarship Fundraisers.
Leading all of these committees, I found a passion for Marketing.

How, you ask?

Well, I'll tell you that leadership had everything to do with it.
I led these organizations to succeed in maintaining relationships with the students. I did marketing campaigns to fuel momentum for student activities on campus. I also led them to succeed in their events, whether it be a speaker on Astronomy, or a fundraiser for scholarships.
It was my duty to choose what students wanted from their student activity experience on campus.
To make an educational seminar on cancer fun, I hired Tom Green to come and speak to the student body on his experience with cancer.
To gain more support for scholarships, I held a themed fundraiser party that hosted a wide array of events.

These events included a battle of the bands, DJ dance party, Homecoming pageant, laser tag, and other "Space" related themed activities.
To gain support from the students, we handed out 3 foot tall blow up, green aliens that held the fundraiser's event date and time printed on them.

Needless to say, when about half of the student body was walking around with green aliens, it created quite a buzz.
This is where I fell in love with marketing. The power and recognition I felt from creating a successful campaign was priceless.
From then on, I knew what I wanted to do with my life.
A few years later, I began working as a Marketing Coordinator for a smart grid technology company. I was doing exactly what I had always loved -- specializing in trade and event marketing.  
I love the respect that comes from a perfectly executed conference or press event, or when sponsors, attendees and internal executives are amazed at the amount of work and effort that went into the project - from start to finish.

I love seeing the people I manage on my team come together to fulfill a project through to its end.

I love the satisfaction that comes from seeing a project through to fruition and the sense of achievement in knowing that I gave it my best and I brought a project to its end... Successfully.
And I must say, it is far better to love what you do, than hate your chosen path.
To understand my passion for marketing, you need to understand my passion for rock climbing.
From January to April I work out at an indoor rock gym 3 nights a week.

This is to get my body in shape for outdoor climbing which has proved to be harder than indoor rock climbing.

Outdoors we typically take weekend trips to various sport climbing areas. These areas include: West Point NY, Birdsboro PA, Rumney NH, and The Gunks, PA

Outdoor sport climbing involves using your own rope, Gri Gri or ATC (which is your belay device) along with climbing shoes and a harness.

The difference between sport climbing and top roping is that while climbing top rope (typically found in the gym) the rope is already attached to carabineers at the top of the wall.

In sport climbing, you take the carabineers and clip them into the rock as you climb. Then you take the rope and clip it into your carabineers which is now clipped into bolted rock areas usually 7 to 10 feet apart on a specific routed climb.

It is more dangerous to climb this way because if you fall, you will only be protected from your last clipped carabineer; however, if you want to enjoy outdoor rock climbing, you must get over the fear of falling and just do it.

I really enjoy climbing outdoors. It allows you to be free in nature and it allows you to experience different kinds of rock and formations unique to specific regions.

I believe the dedication it takes to become a good climber reveals a lot about my personality.

I believe the same dedication is needed to exceed professionally.

I have demonstrated both.
What is the message here?  Love what you do, and do it well because the positive reinforcement from doing it right is enough to fuel you to do even better.
Secondary to that, please find a balance between work and other aspects of life.  Because giving it your all isn’t just for your professional life, it is very important in your personal life as well.
Finally, if you can link and attribute distinct characteristics from within your personal life to your professional life, you will go far  because you know what it takes to make it. 

You've already shown yourself that by being motiviated within your hobbies.
POST BY:
Rachael Licata





1 comment:

  1. Rachael,
    Great job on your personal brand. Thank you for revising. I have gone into your entry and did some editing (your headline to make it more active), creating some sub-heads, and helping wordsmith your transition to rock climbing.

    I will give you one additional week to finish the brand assignment before I grade you. Please:

    1. Develop the honed in statement (from last class)
    2. Incorporate your brand into a LinkedIn profile and LinkIn with me so that I can offer you feedback
    3. Blog about an additional tool you are using to further your personal brand.

    Please send me an email before next Monday to let me know this is complete and I will grade you at that time.

    Thanks,
    Perri

    ReplyDelete